Monday, May 6, 2013

Shea Moisture Hair Coloring System (First Impressions)

Tis' the season for sun and holly fa la la la la la la la la. I don't know about you but I can't wait for the summer. Just like most women the mark of summer means whipping out the swim gear, the short shorts, your best pair of sunglasses and the many different styles of sundresses (don't forget the opened toed heels). Now we can't forget the different hair styles along with the delicious array of colors to match. After a long weird fall/winter living in Memphis, Tn I think its time to change my hair up a notch (BAM). Like most women period I need a change ever once in a while. Since summer is my favorite time of year why not switch it up a bit. I've been thinking about coloring my hair on and off for the past few months now. I was against it since it took so long for my last color application (while transitioning almost 2yr ago) to fully grow out. I still have a little color of honey blonde left on my ends as we speak. I loved the (Textures&Tones) "Honey Blonde" it was a good product but I don't think I was ready for the aftermath of color back then. Yet, I have this strong urge to experiment with color again. So I took to the internet to do some research on products that wouldn't harm my natural hair, that weren't filled with super harsh chemicals but would still give me a nice color pay off nothing super intense but a great quality of color. I came across the Shea Moisture Hair Color System (Target.com)  for $14.99 after seeing reviews for most of the 12 colors on youtube I think we have a winner. This coloring system doesn't have super harsh ingredients and actually has some good pay off in color from what I've watch. Besides Shea Moisture is a company that me and my hair can trust because they have natural hair care in mind. I love the fact that they not only give you the color in the kit but some of their imfamous shampoo, conditioner etc to use after your coloring application. I have dark off black hair minus the very ends of my hair so Im thinking I'll have to go with my first choice of the Bright Auburn (I LOVE RED HAIR). I do want to lift my hair a bit because it is so dark in color so I've even thought about using the Dark Golden Blonde first then follow up  6 weeks later with the Bright Auburn to get a better color pay off. I don't want to use the 7 stages color booster pack that I normally use out of fear it would give me a super intense color of red is the reason for wanting to use the Dark Golden Blonde first (since the blonde coloring on black hair gives a slight lift without making the hair traditional blonde). I haven't seen these in stores yet here in Memphis so most likely I will be ordering them from target.com and I will order 2 boxes of each color since I have a lot of hair and want to make sure I have enough to complete my whole head of hair. I'm excited and simply can't wait I think these two colors are going to look hot on me :) Even thought about doing

Some additional tips I've learned through reviews and videos
  • Use thicker gloves
  • It takes time to see the color so a strand test is recommended for this product
  • Make sure you have newspapers or a large towel covering the floor when applying the color
  • Using the "Bottle Method" instead of the applicator brush works better for the coloring process
  • Makes sure you work in the product very well
  • Follow up with the products included in the kit
  • Keep your hair moisturized after the coloring applicaition for best results (color care rules)
  • Enjoy your new hair color : )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment